CPUT Emergency Evacuation: All Campuses Shut, Students Given 24 Hours to Leave

CPUT Emergency Evacuation: All Campuses Shut, Students Given 24 Hours to Leave

The Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) has activated an emergency evacuation of all its residences and closed all campuses following an arson attack at its Bellville campus. Students have been given just 24 hours to vacate university residences as violent protests continue to escalate.

In an urgent notification sent to staff and students, the university announced that the indefinite shutdown would remain in effect until further notice. All academic activities have been suspended, while staff members have been instructed to work remotely.

Arson Attack Forces University Closure

Fire officials responded to the burning of the Old Education building at CPUT’s Bellville campus on Monday evening. The university described the incident as a “malicious arson attack” and expressed grave concern about the escalating violence.

“While no one was injured in this latest arson attack, it is a grave concern that the level of violence is now escalating to a point where someone is likely to be seriously injured or worse,” university management said.

CPUT management stated that continued violent disruptions, torching of buildings, and malicious attacks on institutional infrastructure forced the university to close all campuses and immediately evacuate residences.

Students Given 24 Hours to Vacate

All CPUT residences must be evacuated by 4pm on Wednesday, 19 August 2026. The university confirmed that residences will be closed after the evacuation.

Students living in university residences must leave by the deadline, after which the residences will be closed. The university said only essential workers and selected support staff would be permitted on campus.

However, some students have refused to leave. Lizole Xhaya told Business Day: “We received communication today to vacate our residences. We are not going anywhere. We do not agree with what the institution wants to introduce.”

Another student from Qumbu in the Eastern Cape said he had no relatives in Cape Town and did not know what would happen if he was forced to leave.

Why Are Students Protesting?

The unrest stems from student opposition to CPUT’s proposed Draft Financial Recovery Plan aimed at addressing the university’s R4.2 billion debt.

Under the proposed plan, students would be required to pay a mandatory R7,000 registration fee (covering R3,500 for registration and R3,500 for residence registration) along with a portion of their outstanding arrears upfront.

The proposed changes would also eliminate the option for students to register by signing an Acknowledgement of Debt agreement, which previously allowed students to register while paying off debt through structured arrangements.

Student activists have described the proposals as a form of “financial exclusion,” arguing they disproportionately affect students from poor and working-class backgrounds.

While CPUT withdrew its draft financial plan following student protests, violent demonstrations continued throughout last week, including a security vehicle being set on fire at the Wellington campus.

CHECK ALSO: Springboks vs All Blacks 2026: Baltimore Test Kick-off Time Confirmed – Full Tour Schedule

Student Leaders Refuse to Leave

The Student Representative Council (SRC) is demanding the immediate withdrawal of the proposed 2027 financial recovery plan and the retention of the existing AOD system until an alternative has been consulted on with students.

Among its other demands are:

  • Immediate maintenance and refurbishment of all CPUT-owned residences
  • Reduction in residence fees that exceed the Nsfas accommodation cap
  • An independent forensic investigation into the university’s finances
  • All students affected by the Nsfas accommodation cap to be allowed to collect transcripts and certificates regardless of outstanding accommodation-related debt

On Tuesday, hundreds of students marched through Cape Town’s city centre and submitted a 20-page memorandum to Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Higher Education.

The protests have involved various student organisations, including the Pan-Africanist Student Movement of Azania, Economic Freedom Fighters Students’ Command, and uMkhonto weSizwe Student Movement.

Students in Limbo Over Academic Year

CPUT students have been left stranded and uncertain about their academic futures. Third-year journalism student Amamkele Mtshulwana, who lives in CPUT residence, said: “We are not going anywhere. CPUT chasing us out means we will not be able to finish and graduate next year.”

Walter Tebogo Letsie, chairperson of Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Higher Education, described the evacuation order as “harsh” and “stupid.”

The university said it remains focused on finding a solution to conclude the academic year as soon as possible.

“Management again wishes to emphasise that the evacuation is meant to address safety concerns of all our students and staff during this trying period,” CPUT said.

CPUT Condemns Violence and Damage to Infrastructure

Over the past five days, CPUT campuses have experienced acts of violence resulting in harm to students and staff and significant damage to university property.

The damage reportedly includes broken windows, a burnt vehicle, damage to a classroom, flooded buildings, damaged health and safety equipment, damaged perimeter fencing and security equipment, damage to the recently restored Ikamva building, and the breaking into and damaging of a cafeteria.

The university condemned the violence, intimidation and destruction of university property, saying the disruptions were affecting its infrastructure and its ability to fulfil its academic mandate.

What This Means for CPUT Students

The emergency evacuation has left thousands of students in a state of uncertainty. With the academic year already disrupted, many are concerned about whether they will be able to complete their studies and graduate on time.

Students who have no alternative accommodation are particularly vulnerable, with some expressing fear that they will be left homeless. The university has not yet announced any emergency accommodation arrangements for affected students.

As the situation continues to develop, students are advised to stay in contact with their faculties and the university’s official communication channels for further updates.